Friday, February 26, 2010

Random oddball details

Okay, I'm a little restless on a Friday night. Starting to feel like I may be fighting off sickness with everything in me; my body is so tired, but I can't stand the thought of going to bed at 9:20 on a Friday night. I can't waste a Friday night. Only have 52 of them this year. Don't mind sharing a few Mondays along the way, but not a Friday.
Three sick folks in my house, not counting me. I feel the headache now. I've already had two rounds this year. The first turned into a chronic cough that lasted six weeks. I never get sick, at least not in recent years. This winter has been different.
Anyway, thought I would come up with a few uninteresting facts about myself. Interesting to someone I hope.
I am left handed, but I eat with my right hand. This may be a learned rite of survival when I was younger, banging elbows with a much older and wiser family member to my left. You see, everyone was right handed except me. A young lefty next to a hungry, older family member gets hurt when the elbows start flying at meal time. I only need my chicken leg popped out of my hand one time. Survival instincts take over at an early age, and I quicly switched hands.
My son Robbie was born a lefty, and he still is in some respects. I remember one day, I'm thinking around 6 or 7 years old, he told me he needed a new ball glove. He decided to start throwing right handed, and he started hitting right handed. I felt a little abandoned, but hey, he does pretty well.
I can figure batting averages in my head. Guess it's from all the simulation games I used to play, plus I'm kind of in to statistics anyway. Should have been an accountant I guess. 2 hits in 7 at bats? .286.
I was on TV one time. Back in the day, when I was a kid, I went on the Tubby & Lester Show, somewhere in Atlanta, and got to walk up to the fake window and get my brown bag full of candy and bubble gum cards. Tubby & Lester were copying Abbott & Costello.
I was in a school bus wreck back in first grade. A pretty big impact, several kids were hurt, including teeth missing, etc. No seat belts. My complaint was I couldn't find my lunch. We were supposed to go on a field trip.
I caught a foul ball at a Braves game when I was a kid. Got a pretty nice ovation, and I'm sure it looked pretty good compared to the Braves infield back in those days. Reached my hand up and barehanded it, then got Ted Turner to sign it.
In school, stating in 4th grade, I plated French Horn through 12th grade, then a semester in college. I also played trumpet in marching band from 9th-12th grade, and then in church for a few years. I run the sound board in church now.
I can hold things in that bother me, and I can do it indefinitely I've found. I'm the one that shouldn't be backed in a corner, but so far it hasn't happened. I can also be very open with someone if allowed to be.
Things I really enjoy include, but not limited to: photography, outdoors stuff, tent camping (haven't done this in quite a while,) going to the beach and walking along the surf day or night, a good road trip, driving through scenic places and stopping along the way, quality family time, writing, reading (no, not 'rithmatic,) sunrises and sunsets, extreme weather (I would enjoy being a hurricane hunter or an oceanographer,) a gentle soaking rain if I'm under a porch and don't have to get out in it, convertibles, church, time with like minded friends, enjoying the beauty of nature, holding hands, ping pong, swimming in the ocean, a good burger off the grill. And many more.
I have never hunted. No interest whatsoever, but turn me loose in the woods with a camera.....
I have a touch of dyslexia, especially if I'm tired. Not enough to really make a difference, but don't ask me to help you with math if I've had a long day. I remember a college test I took; exhausted, I drew graphs a mirror image from what they should have been.
I get, on average, 6 to 6 1/2 hours of sleep per night. I sleep on my side. Sleeping on my back is a bad idea for me; I tend to get choked. I remember sleepwalking twice: Once in Florida at my grandparents when a few of us spent the night outside in a camper. Good thing I stayed clear of the canal. Second time, my mom, with knife in hand, found me asleep in the car, with the door exiting the house standing wide open. I didn't remember a thing.
This will take a part two; I can't remember all of my weird habits in one night because they seem pretty normal to me. But we're all weird in or own way, so I don't feel bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment